sábado, 19 de enero de 2008

One Week in Silence: Mission Accomplished!!!

(For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I copy here the post about this topic in my former blog)
"A few weeks ago, I learned that my friend John Birch has become involved in a project to help save the rainforest. And one of the activities he has planned is quite peculiar: he has decided to lock himself in one room of his house for a week, with no food, no entertainment, no electrical lighting and no heating. Only water,a camcorder to film his experience, a notebook and pen and a sleeping bag. He intends this to be both a spiritual journey and a sponsored activity to raise funds for and awareness of the Amazon Rainforest Foundation. You can find the whole story here.I must be honest to you.My first thought when I heard this was "He's crazy!" I was angry with him for personal reasons and that didn't help, I must confess. But after reading about the project he's involved in at the AmazonCry page,and giving it a good deal of thought, I realized that he is making a difference. He's doing something I would never have the guts to do (I can't stand the idea of being locked up for an hour, let alone for a week) and he's trying to raise awareness about the Earth and the environment when most of us choose to look the other way or even turn to denial. When, two days ago, a Spanish politician, leader of the Conservative Party,as good as denied the existence of global warming, I decided that John deserved a post and my support. He may seem mad to you, but believe me, I think the real madmen are in much higher places"

Well, now I'm pleased to announce that John completed his feat, raised some money and is in excellent health. You can read about it here and in his webpage in preparation One Week in Silence.

1 comentario:

Rozonda dijo...

he's probably received your congrats, he keeps watching this blog :)))